U.S. President Donald Trump issued a call to nations around the world to end religious persecution on Monday as he began three days of diplomatic events at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari is attending the New York event.
Dpa reports that the President made a surprise but brief visit to a UN climate summit before heading off to host an event on religious freedoms.
The majority of his day is due to be spent in a rapid series of bilateral meetings with world leaders.
“Today, with one clear voice, the United States of America calls on nations of the world to end religious persecution.
“Our rights do not come from government, they come from God,” Trump said, alleging that 80 per cent of the world’s population faced restrictions on religious freedoms.
The president noted that people of all major faiths faced persecution, but much of his speech focused on Christians.
The president has been accused of anti-Muslim bias, particularly over a ban introduced at the start of his term in office on most visas for citizens of several Muslim majority nations.
Vice President Mike Pence introduced Trump and highlighted several countries – all adversaries of the U.S., including Iran, China, Nicaragua and Venezuela – where he said religious freedoms were under attack.
Pence also highlighted the plight of the Yezidis, who were massacred by Islamic State.
He vowed to continue to support Yezidis and other minorities in Iraq.
A U.S. administration official described the religious freedom meeting as “our key event.”
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres joined Trump for the event, and said that religious freedom is a “pressing global issue,” urging governments to respect the right to express one’s own thoughts, religion and conscience.
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Jhpiego Recruitment for Knowledge Management and Communications Manager
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) recruitment for a Supply Chain Assistant – Procurement
- UAC Foods Limited Management Trainee Programme 2021
- Chevron Nigeria Limited Graduate Internship Program 2021-2022
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021