United States President, Donald Trump has asked governors to allow worship centres re-open because they are of “very essential” services, adding that if “abortion” places can be left open, why can’t they allow worship centres too to be open.
At the White House briefing on Friday, Trump said the churches are what holds America together.
The US had imposed a lockdown that prevented churches and most businesses from operating as a measure to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
But Trump said they are “very essential”, adding that “in America, we need more prayers and not less.”
He threatened to override the governors if they do not allow the churches to re-open.
“Today, I am identifying houses of worship as essential places that provide essential services,” he said.
“I call upon governors to allow places of worship to open now. These are places that hold our city together and keep our people united. They love their congregations and their people. They do not want anything bad to happen to them.
“The governors nee to do the right thing and allow this very essential places to open. If they do not do it, I will override the governors.”
The US is the worst-hit country in the pandemic with over 1.6 million people infected while over 96,000 persons have died.
The number of cases and deaths globally has reached 5.2 million and 337,000 respectively, but a number of countries have started relaxing their restrictions.
Italy, for instance, now allows churches and bars and other places to re-open.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Abia State Government Recruitment 2021/2022 | How to Apply Online
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health