US Sends Strong Warning To Buhari, Reacts To Killing Of Christians In Nigeria
The US has voiced its displeasure with the way Nigerian courts continue to convict citizens of blasphemy and sentence them to long prison terms or death.
This was said by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken at the publication of the 2020 International Religious Freedom Report earlier this week.
He further claimed that no one has been brought to justice in Nigeria for the “massacre” of members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, also known as Shiites.
“In Nigeria, courts continue to sentence people for blasphemy, sending them to prison for long periods of time or even to death. Despite this, the government has yet to bring anyone to court for the military’s slaughter of hundreds of Shia Muslims in 2015, according to Blinken.
He went on to say that religious freedom is a human right that is protected by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and that America will continue to support religious freedom around the world.
“Religious liberty, like all human rights, is a universal right. Everyone, everywhere, is entitled to it, regardless of where they live, what they believe, or don’t believe.
“Religious freedom cannot be fully realized until other human rights are respected, and when governments violate their people’s ability to freely believe and worship, all other human rights are jeopardized,” the US State Secretary stated.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Kaduna State Ministry of Health Recruitment 2021