World Refugees Day: Ita-Giwa Wants UN To Implement Green Tree Agreement On Bakassi
Former Presidential Adviser on National Assembly matters,Senator Florence Ita-Giwa says only the full implementation of the Green Agreement by the United Nations (UN) can guarantee speedy resettlement of the people of Bakassi in Cross River State,South South Nigeria.
The Agreement was signed between Nigeria and Cameroon in the present of the United Nations in 2006 before the withdrawal of the Nigeria Milliary and it’s citizens from their ancentral.
In a statement personally signed by the Bakassi Political leader in Calabar, to mark the 2020 World Refugee day, Ita-giwa said non Implementation of the Green Tree Agreement has made the neglected displaced people of Bakassi suffer especially in the ruthless claws of the Cameroonian officials.
Ita-Giwa,said the Bakassi indegenes who where forcefully pulled out of their ancestral homes 12 years ago, still pace the streets with bleeding heels amidst hopelessness.
She explained that the huge financial burden the Returnees are causing the Cross River state government needs Federal Government and International Community intervention.
“As a people we have suffered enough to the extend that some of us are forced to return to peninsula inspite of the rutlessness of Cameroonian officials rather than be exposed to the indignity of extended habitation of squalid camps.
“Bakassi indegenes are clearly the most neglected set of displaced persons in Nigeria given the number of years they have been left to wallow inside squalid camps.
“Since Nigeria formally pulled out of the Bakassi peninsula which was our ancestral home on August 14, 2008, most of us have had to endure untold hardship in so called displaced persons camps.
“While we sincerely appreciate the efforts of the Cross River state government, we are not unmindful of the financial constraints affecting the government. We hereby demand that the Federal government take up it’s share of responsibility in resettling us properly.
“In the same token, we are calling on the United Nations and the guarantors to the Green Tree Agreement to do the needful as it concerns us.
“During the 2006 Green Tree Agreement that preceded the withdrawal from our homeland, assurances of our speedy rehabilitation and recovery were given.
“It is our hope and prayer that by the time the world observes another World Refugee Day, we would be in a position to announce a marked improvement in the fortunes of longsuffering Bakassi indegenes”.
JOBS RECOMMENDED 4 YOU
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources 2020 Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
- DSS Recruitment Application Form 2020 is Out
- Nigeria Air Force 2020/2021 Massive Recruitment for Airmen/Airwomen form (BMTC 2020) is out
- Nigeria Police Force Recruitment form 2020
- United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) 2020 Job Recruitment –3 Positions
- Massive Recruitment at Fortune Marine & Energy Services Limited
- Massive Recruitment at Oyo state civil service commission
- 2020 Massive Recruitment at The American University of Nigeria
- Ongoing Jobs Recruitment in a Reputable Plastic Manufacturing Company in Lagos
Subscribe to Wee Talk Naija via Email
From Wee Talk Naija
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s, they do not reflect the views of Wee Talk Naija. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
VIDEO OF THE MONTH: CORONA PALAVAR
MUST WATCH: AKPAN & ODUMA
- NDDC Fight: Nothing Should Happen To Our Daughter — Wike Sends Strong Warning To Akpabio
- American Court Denies Hushpuppi Bail, To Remain In Prison
- BREAKING: Police Seize Magu’s Official Bulletproof Vehicles, Seal Office
- We Are Not Safe – Nigerians Reacts As 602 Ex-Boko Haram Members Are Set To Be Freed By FG
- C-River School Of Nursing Sciences Graduates Will Now Participate In NYSC — Govt
Share this post with your Friends on