Youth stakeholders of Cross River State Peoples Democratic Party, Northern Senatorial District extraction, have called on Leaders and members of the People’s Democratic Party PDP, to put an end to the lingering crises that has engulfed the party since after its primaries, Weetalknaija Daily Post has learnt.
The Youths who came under the aegis of PDP Northern Cross River Youths Forum, said it was wrong for a party with leadership in the State to not have a candidate in the forthcoming Northern Senatorial by-elections slated for 31st October, 2020.
According to the convener Comrade Amb. Jerry Odey and chairman of forum, it was a great misnomer for a party like PDP not to have a candidate in the Elections. He said that the release of candidates by INEC which excluded the party’s candidate was not speakable of the strength and unity of the party.
“Some weeks ago the party conducted their primaries, which though was not truly peaceful following the death of some Youths, a winner emerged and was forwarded, but due to a court injunction the candidate’s name was kept in abeyance by the electoral body.
“This was the first time in the recent history of the party from that axis, did we have such a contentious exercise and this further degenerated with the loss of lives of some vibrant Youths. We therefore call on all parties to sheath their swords and toe the path of peace by resolving amicably, the lingering crises,” he said.
In a unanimous decision, the Youth stakeholders maintained that peace must be restored and that those who are at war with the party should tow the path of peace and tranquility. They equally called on one of the contestants, Hon. Jarigbe Agom who had taken the party to Court, to withdraw the case and support Dr Stephen Odey as declared and earlier submitted by the electoral umpire.
Areas of the meeting focused on the following;
(I) Appraisal of the PDP Primary that took place on the 5th of September, 2020 with the view of making appropriate recommendations.
(II) The responsivenesss of Leadership to the need for peace building in the Senatorial District
(III) Fostering the bond of unity and brotherliness among the component units and people of the Senatorial District.
After a thought provoking contributions by several speakers, the following were resolved.
1. The forum noted that, as it is in the Constitution of our great Party, the Executive Governor of Cross River State, Prof Senator (Sir) Ben Ayade himself an illustrious Son of the Northern Senatorial District extraction, remains the indisputable leader of our great Party, the PDP within the pendency of this administration.
2. This forum appealed the Executive Governor, who is the father of all in the State and more particularly our father from the North going forward, to ensure that his vow to play politics with ethics remains a lasting legacy to the youths of the North and Cross River State.
3. The forum commended one of their own brother and friend, the indefatigable performer, Rt. Hon. Jarigbe Agom Jarigbe for his doggedness in his quest to redefine representation and the body of politics of Northern Cross River, but called on him, to at this time choose his battles by sheathing his sword, being the peace maker that he is known to be. Appealing further, the forum noted that the youths who are the indubitable fulcrum, on which electoral victories are largely dependent upon, hereby place a solemn request through this platform to him, to WITHDRAW ALL MATTERS (LITIGATIONS) instituted by him, and any further push in whatever direction partaining the September 5the Senatorial Primary Election for the purpose of achieving peace for the North and victory to the PDP family as he has nothing to loose, being a sitting member of the House of Representatives who has etched his name in gold, and especially in humility and respect to the earlier call and decision of the elders of the North, that the uncompleted period constituting the second term of our departed mother, sister and amazon, Distinguished Senator Dr Rose Okoji Oko (Late), be completed by the LGA from where she hailed, in this case Yala LGA.
4. Forum is of the strong opinion, and charged the elders and leaders of the North, midwifed by the Party, to without delay initiate a robust reconciliation process between the agrieved parties with the view to above all enthrone peace and ultimately guarantee the redemption of the soul of our great Party.
5. The forum expressed deep displeasure, at the seemingly helpless posture of both the elders and leaders alike, of the Northern Senatorial District on their aloofness on critical issues such as the one currently being addressed herein, for which painfully degenerated such that some of our beloved ones, had to pay supreme prices unecessarily. Forum therefore, challenged and charged them to as a matter of urgency and deliberateness, initiate a process that will build the bonds of unity, close ranks, and encourage consensus building to forestall such bizarre future occurrences.
6. The conveners, were charged to synergies with groups with similar interest in the Senatorial District in order to build and guarantee strength and unity of purpose and to sustain the viability of the Northern Senatorial District in all facets.
7. The conveners of the forum were further reminded to note that the youths are indeed the leaders of tomorrow which though has become chi-che`, should thus imbibe and build a culture of leadership, and must not allow this forum and it’s laudable initiatives to be periodic or seasonal, but must ensure that their initiative transmutes to a major Northern interest group and a dependable voice, that Northern Crossriverians and posterity will be proud about.
8. Forum hereby appeal to the large and vibrant army of youths on both sides, even beyond Party lines to immediately sheath their swords, as it is clearly the future if the youths, we mean our own future that is being threatened.
9. The forum noted that one of their own, a pragmatic and an illustrious Son of the North Dr Barr Stephen Adi Odey had emerged and was submitted as winner of the Primary Elections and further confirmed the ratification of his candidature by our great Party’s National Working Committee (NWC). They subsequently forwarded his name and particulars to INEC.
The forum therefore Congratulates Dr Barr Stephen Adi Odey and charged him to extend his olive branch to other aspirants and also call on other aspirants and party members to please unite and support him the flag-bearer of our great Party, the PDP to ensure the Party’s victory at the October 31st, 2020 Bye-election.
10. It is the position of forum that DEFEAT is usually not bitter except when swallowed. Therefore, it is the firm opinion of the Cross River Northern PDP youths, that there has been no victor and there has been no vanguished, but only the Northern Senatorial District, PDP and Democracy that is indeed the winner.
Recall that the party primaries were keenly contested by five aspirants among whom were Rt. Hon. Jarigbe Agom from Ogoja, Hon. Barr. Lukpata and Dr Stephen Odey from Yala, and two others.
Highpoint of the meeting was signing of a peace COMMUNIQUE to be transmitted to the Leaders, Traditional Rulers and stakeholders of the party.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Career Opportunities at International Breweries Plc
- Abia State Government Recruitment 2021/2022 | How to Apply Online
- Restaurant Management Trainee Program at Sundry Foods Limited – 9 Openings
- Job Vacancies at Joemarine Nautical Company Nigeria Limited – 20 Openings
- World Bank Group Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health